Re: ORCID - unique identifiers for contributors

On 16 September 2013 19:06, John C Klensin <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> If the goal is to include contact info for the authors in the
>>> document and in fact you can't be contacted using the info is
>>> it contact info?
>>
>> While I didn't say that the goal was to provide contact
>> info[*], an individual can do so through their ORCID profile,
>> which they manage and can update at any time.
>
> The goal of the "author's address" section of the RFCs is
> _precisely_ contact information.  See, e.g.,
> draft-flanagan-style-02 and its predecessors.

I'm sure it is; but nor did I mention the "author's address" section -
 I'm credited under "Acknowledgments".

> I can see some advantages in including ORCID or some similar
> identifier along with the other contact information

> [But] I'd consider it useful supplemental
> information, not a replacement for the contact information that
> is now supposed to be present.

Nor have I argued that it should be.

> Treating an ORCID (or equivalent) as supplemental would also
> avoid requiring the RSE to inquire about guarantees about the
> permanence and availability of the relevant database.  It may be
> fine; I'd just like to avoid having to go there.

Even if the ORCID database vanishes (which is highly unlikely) the
existing UIDs will still be unique.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing