Re: ORCID - unique identifiers for contributors

On 16 September 2013 17:59, joel jaeggli <joelja@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I'm a contributor to RFC 6350 - but I'm listed there by name only, and
>> there is nothing to differentiate me from some other Andy Mabbett (the
>> problem is no doubt worse for people with less unusual family names).
>> Like many such contributors, I don't want to publish my email address
>> as an identifier, in case I get spammed, and if I give an affiliation
>> or even the URL of my website, that may change over time.
>
> If the goal is to include contact info for the authors in the document
> and in fact you can't be contacted using the info is it contact info?

While I didn't say that the goal was to provide contact info[*], an
individual can do so through their ORCID profile, which they manage
and can update at any time.

* The purpose of ORCID is to /uniquely/ identify individuals, both to
differentiate between people with similar names, and to unify works
where the author uses variant or changed names - say Jim Smith, James
Smith and J. H. Smith for one author, or authors who change their name
on marriage, divorce, change of religion or  whatever.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing