Re: IPR Disclosures for draft-ietf-xrblock-rtcp-xr-qoe

--On Monday, September 16, 2013 07:14 -1000 Randy Bush
<randy@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> can we try to keep life simple?  it is prudent to check what
> (new) ipr exists for a draft at the point where the iesg is
> gonna start the sausage machine to get it to rfc.  if the iesg
> did not do this, we would rightly worry that we were open to a
> submarine job.  this has happened, which is why this formality
> is in place.

Agreed.  I hope there are only two issues in this discussion:

(1) Whether the IESG requires that the question be asked in some
particular form, especially a form that would apply to
other-than-new IPR.  I think the answer to that question is
clearly "no".

(2) Whether the "submitted in full conformance..." statement in
I-Ds is sufficient to cover IPR up to the point of posting of
the I-D.  If the answer is "no", then there is a question of why
we are wasting the bits.  If it is "yes", as I assume it is,
then any pre-sausage questions can and should be limited to IPR
that might be new to one or more of the authors.

> if some subset of the authors prefer to play cute, my alarms
> go off. stuff the draft until they can give a simple direct
> answer.

Agreed.  While I wouldn't make as big an issue of it as he has
(personal taste), I agree with him that asking an author to
affirm that he or she really, really meant it and told the truth
when posting a draft "submitted in full conformance..." is
inappropriate and demeaning.  While I think there might have
been other, more desirable, ways to pursue it, I don't think
that raising the issue falls entirely into the "cute" range.

   john