Re: decentralization of Internet (was Re: Bruce Schneier's Proposal to dedicate November meeting to saving the Internet from the NSA

On Sep 6, 2013 4:33 PM, "Roger Jørgensen" <rogerj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 9:47 AM, Adam Novak <interfect@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ><snip>
> > One way to frustrate this sort of dragnet surveillance would be to reduce
> > centralization in the Internet's architecture. Right now, the way the
> > Internet works in practice for private individuals, all your traffic goes up
> > one pipe to your ISP. It's trivial to tap, since the tapping can be
> > centralized at the ISP end.
>
> excellent idea... any suggestion on how that should be done?
>
> Only one I can remember right now are LISP which sort of create a new
> network on top of our current network, and the EID-block drafts being
> worked on by some people (including me) tries to address how the
> IP-space of this "new" network can be done.

LISP does nothing for decentralization.  Traffic still flows hierarchically,  encapsulated or not, and you add the mapping system which is naturally hierarchical and another vulnerability.  The diameter of the Internet has not increased much despite its growth, due to both cross-connects and hubs. I don't think there is much more that can be done practically to decentralize traffic flow.

Scott