Re: Bruce Schneier's Proposal to dedicate November meeting to saving the Internet from the NSA

On Sep 6, 2013, at 8:07 AM, Eliot Lear <lear@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 9/6/13 3:04 PM, Martin Sustrik wrote:
>> So, what if an NSA guys comes in and proposes backdoor to be added to
>> a protocol? Is it even a valid interest? Does IETF as an organisation
>> have anything to say about that or does it remain strictly neutral?
>>
> It's happened before and we as a community have said no.  See RFC 2804.

What if they didn't say they were NSA guys, but just discretely worked a weakness into a protocol? What if they were a trusted senior member of the community?

That way lies madness -- but it is a madness we must contemplate. Broader REAL consensus, rather than apathetic agreement with a single contributor's assertions is probably the right way to go.

That means an increasing thrust on educating IETFers, broadly, about security issues. Not just the math, but the whole op-sec envelope.

--
Dean