Re: [spfbis] Last Call: <draft-ietf-spfbis-4408bis-19.txt> (Sender Policy Framework (SPF) for Authorizing Use of Domains in Email, Version 1) to Proposed Standard

On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:00:56 Måns Nilsson wrote:
> Subject: Re: [spfbis] Last Call: <draft-ietf-spfbis-4408bis-19.txt> (Sender
> Policy?Framework (SPF) for Authorizing Use of Domains in Email, Version 1)
> to Proposed Standard Date: Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 10:30:41AM -0700 Quoting S
> Moonesamy (sm+ietf@elandsys.c
> > My reading of  the SPFBIS Charter is that the working group was not
> > tasked to work on the future of DNS servers.  That does not mean
> > that arguments about the future of DNS servers are not relevant.
>
> The codification of a pessimistic view of the ability of the DNS installed
> base to adapt to new RRtypes is - in itself - a statement that influences
> the future of DNS. That this was not completely understood in terms of
> influence weight is one of the reasons for this debate.
>
> > There are several questions:
> >  (a) Was there an error in RFC 4408?
>
> Yes.
>
> >  (b) What was the error in RFC 4408?
>
> The TXT rrtype was not properly decommissioned; it lacked definitiveness,
> and neither publication instructions nor selection/query algorithm
> satisfy this (originally intended, I suppose and believe) sunset view
> of the TXT record rôle vis à vis SPF.
>
> >  (c) Why was there an error in RFC 4408?
> >
> >  (d) What should be done about the error?
>
> 4408bis needs a better defined depreciation statement for TXT,
> accompanied by publication and  query methods that will ensure the
> continous phasing-out of SPF data in TXT records.
>
> A clarification here will help in making DNS UI vendors doing the right
> thing. I'm quite confident that presently, the UI vendors sleep soundly
> after reading 4408 and continuing to ignore SPF/99. That is not
> desirable.
>
> > There isn't anything that can be done about question (c) except not
> > to repeat the same mistake.
> >
> > Is there disagreement on the answers to questions (a) and (b)?
>
> Apparently.

Translated:

RFC 4408 was in error because it didn't abandon it's installed base.  I gather
this is an error you propose to rectify.

Scott K