Re: [spfbis] prefixed names, was Last Call: <draft-ietf-spfbis-4408bis-19.txt>

In message <20130820144548.73129.qmail@xxxxxxxxx>, "John Levine" writes:
> Newsgroups: iecc.lists.ietf.ietf
> From: John Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [spfbis] prefixed names, was Last Call: <draft-ietf-spfbis-4408b
> is-19.txt>
> Cleverness: some
>
> >The two following MIGHT NOT be in the same zone:
> >
> >foo.example. IN X RDATAX
> >_bar.foo.example. IN TXT RDATAY
>
> Since prefixed names have never been used for anything other than
> providing information about the unprefixed name, what conceivable
> operational reason could there be to put a zone cut at the prefix?

When you have "_users" and you want to move the users out of the
hosts namespace and have whom ever deals with people manage that
part of the namespace.

> This impresses me as one of those problems where the solution is
> "don't do that."

There are good reasons to split off administrative control.  "don't
do that" isn't a answer.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@xxxxxxx