Re: [spfbis] Last Call: <draft-ietf-spfbis-4408bis-19.txt> (Sender Policy Framework (SPF) for Authorizing Use of Domains in Email, Version 1) to Proposed Standard

On Monday, August 19, 2013 14:54:44 David Conrad wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Aug 19, 2013, at 12:10 PM, Scott Kitterman <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Operationally, there are far more problems associated with actually trying
> > to use Type 99 than there are with SPF records in Type TXT.
>
> Given the abysmal state of implementation of middleboxes _today_, this isn't
> surprising.  I'm unsure this sad state applies for all future time to come.
> > As Michael Hammer mentioned, we've been through all this before and people
> > might want to review the previous WG discussion on the topic.
>
> +1
>
> However, despite the operational issues mentioned above and the fact that
> this has been discussed to death, I also strongly oppose the deprecation of
> the SPF record. AFAICT, no one is arguing that overloading TXT in the way
> recommended by this draft is a good idea, rather the best arguments appear
> to be that it is a pragmatic "least bad" solution to the fact that (a)
> people often implement (poorly) the very least they can get away with and
> (b) it can take a very long time to fix mistakes on the Internet.
>
> Of course, both (a) and (b) can be improved over time.  The argument that
> "it's already been X years and only Y% of implementers have supported SPF
> so we should throw in the towel now" seems specious to me since:
>
> 1) the SPF type code has been allocated -- it isn't going away or going to
> be reused: deprecation gains nothing from a DNS perspective; 2) pretty much
> every implementation of name servers supports SPF (to one degree or
> another); 3) there exist implementations of DNS frontend UIs that support
> SPF and since the semantics are identical to TXT, future implementation
> would seem to be trivial if a UI supports TXT; and 4) deprecation of SPF
> imposes additional complexity on every other protocol implementation that
> uses TXT at the zone apex either now or in the future.
>
> In the past, the IETF/IESG has frowned on 'squatting' on port numbers,
> addresses, etc., regardless of the potential operational implications of
> accepting that squattage. I personally feel the use of TXT in this context
> is only marginally different than squatting. In my view, deprecating SPF
> only makes sense if the protocol that would use SPF is not going to see
> further deployment.  Since as far as I know, the point of 4408bis is to
> clarify implementation requirements for future implementations, deprecation
> makes no sense to me.

Possibly because your 'a' and 'b' strawman don't reflect the working group's
rationale.  As previously mentioned, it's in the archives.

Scott K