Re: Academic and open source rate (was: Charging remote participants)

Hi Hadriel,
At 05:33 18-08-2013, Hadriel Kaplan wrote:
Define "open source developers". Technically quite a lot of developers at my employer develop "open source", as do many at many of the corporations which send people to the IETF. Heck, even I personally submit code to Wireshark now and then. Distinguishing between "Self-paying" vs. "Expensing" is pretty easy. "Open source" vs. "Closed source" is a big can of worms.

I'd love to get more developers in general to participate - whether they're open or closed source doesn't matter. But I don't know how to do that, beyond what we do now. The email lists are free and open. The physical meetings are remotely accessible for free and open.

On reading the second paragraph of the above message I see that you and I might have a common objective. You mentioned that you don't know how to do that beyond what is done now. I suggested a rate for people with an open source affiliation. I did not define what open source means. I think that you will be acting in good faith and that you will be able to convince your employer that it will not make you look good if you are listed in a category which is intended to lessen the burden for open source developers who currently cannot attend meetings or who attend meetings on a very limited budget.

We can discuss about whether a few hundred United States dollars makes a significant difference or we can sit by a pool and discuss about more interesting things. Your colleagues will probably wonder why you brought more value to your company compared to them. You could tell them that it is because you like strawberry ice cream as it is something that wills the void between rational discussion and all-out thermonuclear war. :-)