Re: Last Call: <draft-bormann-cbor-04.txt> (Concise Binary Object Representation (CBOR)) to Proposed Standard

Hi Carsten,

As a no-hats, IETF-LC comment...

On 08/10/2013 01:42 AM, Carsten Bormann wrote:

> Specialized binary formats like this TLV format are invented a dozen a day all over the industry.
> Each of them has their own little set of unwarranted complexities, bizarre features, and little bugs waiting to explode in the face of their users.
> Rationalizing some of them to a common base like CBOR will be a major win.

That, and some of the IETF LC discussion reminds me of BEEP. [1]
While CBOR also seems sensible, maybe being sensible isn't
sufficient for stuff like this.

So some kind of statement that CBOR is one point in a design
space (as opposed to an optimal solution for some set of
design objectives) would be worthwhile. (Or even to make it
EXP and not PS, but to be honest I don't care much about
that distinction here.)

S.

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3080