Re: Last Call: <draft-bormann-cbor-04.txt> (Concise Binary Object Representation (CBOR)) to Proposed Standard

On 9 August 2013 19:52, Barry Leiba <barryleiba@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> To the rest of the community: Does anyone else think it is not
> appropriate to publish CBOR as a Proposed Standard, and see who uses
> it?

I'm ambivalent on this point.  I don't see CBOR as being useful, but I
don't believe that we should be setting the bar for PS so high that
this doesn't meet it.

> To the rest of the community: What is your view of Phill's technical
> arguments with CBOR?  Do you agree that CBOR is flawed?

PHB's comments were valid.  Though I'll point out that a clear
applicability statement is one potential way to allow something like
this to advance without directly addressing those concerns.  I might
prefer that those concerns be addressed directly, but I also want a
pony.

> To the rest of the community: Do you agree with that concern?  Do you
> think such an analysis and selection of common goals, leading to one
> (or perhaps two) new binary encodings being proposed is what we should
> be doing?  Or is it acceptable to have work such as CBOR proposed
> without that analysis?

I'm not 100% convinced either way in this case.  I can see the
potential here for damage in either direction: choose one format and
it might not be applicable in a wide array of valid use cases; or
allow multiple, narrowly-focused formats and end up with no
consistency at all.

(CBOR attempts to cover several branches of the latter case, by
defining a narrowly-focused, but somewhat general-purpose mechanism
that can be arbitrarily extended.)

I'm also highly cynical regarding the ability of a working group to
produce anything that avoids these sorts of problems.  I'm so glad
that I'm not an area director.