Re: Faraday cages...

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 1:24 PM, Scott Brim <scott.brim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Chris Elliott <chelliot@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> My wallet supposedly has a RFID-blocking layer, but I've not actually tested
>> it. I think the only RFID-capable thing in my wallet is my US passport.
>
> Take a look at what's in your passport with an NFC tool.  For example,
> you can retrieve the photo.

for US passports it seems you have to scan the inside of the back
cover, scanning from the outside doesn't find/activate the rfid token,
yes?

You also need to generate the key material to access the data (DOB +
expiry date of passport + passport number?)

> I keep my passport in a "cage" when I'm not handing it to someone.
> I'm not concerned about my phone.

it seems like simply not waving the passport around open is close to
good enough?
I recall seeing a blackhat/something-or-other demo with a briefcase
that'd read the token though? perhaps with enough wattage you can burn
through the rf shield in the cover?