Re: RPS Accessibility

On 08/06/2013 01:47 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
On 08/06/2013 01:46 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:
On Aug 6, 2013, at 4:37 PM, Hadriel Kaplan <hadriel.kaplan@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
If the problem is "we don't know who's speaking", then fix that
problem.  In WGs I go to, both the WG chairs and the jabber scribes
regularly yell "NAME!" if someone forgets to say it.  Unlike DNS Ops,
this isn't rocket science.

This doesn't work very well.   In one meeting where I was scribing
this IETF, I had to shout NAME at the same person several times,
because he didn't state his name clearly enough for me to be sure I'd
gotten it, and so it didn't stick.   I hate doing this—I think it's
disruptive, and nobody likes getting yelled at.   I certainly don't
like _having_ to yell.

Then come up with an alternate proposal. Fixing this problem is
non-optional.

Apologies if this came off as too terse, or even worse, insulting to Ted. I had a longer response in the works then decided to not go too far into the weeds, and may have trimmed a bit too much.

What I've seen in other groups that has worked is a volunteer to record the names of speakers *before* they get to the mic, and then each speaker is announced. Of course that's one more volunteer to find, but it's pretty light duty, and I suspect that some in our crowd would like to have the extra mic time. :)

In any case, we must fix these problems. All arguments of the form "But it's hard ..." are out of scope.

Perhaps what is necessary is a solution-focused group to hash out the problem space and come up with workable ideas? I would gladly participate in such a group.

Doug