Re: Anonymity versus Pseudonymity (was Re: [87attendees] procedural question with remote participation)

On Aug 4, 2013, at 9:09 PM, Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Aug 3, 2013, at 10:23 PM, Yoav Nir <ynir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The participation in the IETF is already pseudonymous. I have a driver's license, a passport, and a national ID card, all proving that my name is indeed Yoav Nir. But I have never been asked to present any of them at the IETF. I claim to work for Check Point, and my email address tends to suggest it, but a lot of participants use gmail addresses.
>
> So, you pay cash when you register?

No, I use a credit card in the name of my company's "head of purchasing", so not in my name.

> It would probably be difficult to keep your identity secret if there were a discovery process during a patent trial.  You would also have to lie on the stand, and risk severe repercussions if your lie were revealed.

I would never lie at trial. But the name I use at trial doesn't go back to the IETF.

> So yes, this is a problem, but it's not clear to me that it's a serious problem.

I don't think it's a serious problem anyway, but the IETF does not collect enough data to "track you down" as a condition for participation. So tracking you down becomes the lawyer's problem, not something that the IETF can give away.

Yoav