Anonymity versus Pseudonymity (was Re: [87attendees] procedural question with remote participation)

Moving to ietf@xxxxxxxx, since I think this is not in any way specific to Berlin.

On 8/2/13 12:24, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
In rtcweb we have remote participants that prefer anonymity for a number of reasons.

I'm going to make a broad assumption that the "number of reasons" all relate to privacy. If that is incorrect, please weigh in.

The question is how this is handled in regards to note well, when they want jabber scribes to relay opinions or proposals to the meeting.

Just a note for the future. I think we should allow anonymous listeners, but should they really be allowed to participate?

We had a previous conversation around pseudonyms, which I think concluded that pseudonyms are pretty much okay (and impossible to reliably detect anyway).

Given this fact, someone can protect their identity through use of a consistent pseudonym. This has the property of developing a persona behind that pseudonym that the working group members can reasonably interact with.

By contrast, attempting to participate in a truly anonymous fashion rather than participating with a pseudonym seems to have very little justification, with significant potential drawback for the working group. The privacy implications are pretty much identical, but it provides the illusion that one can act in a way that has no impact on a persona's reputation. IMHO, this is ripe for bad behavior, bad faith participation, and other abuses.

Given the availability of pseudonymous participation, I don't think we need to tolerate anonymous participation.

/a