Re: procedural question with remote participation

--On Saturday, August 03, 2013 08:55 +0200 "Olle E. Johansson"
<oej@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Just a note for the future. I think we should allow
>>> anonymous listeners, but should they really be allowed to
>>> participate?
>>
>> We don't allow anonymous comments at the microphone in
>> face-to-face meetings, requiring all people to clearly state
>> their names and have those names recorded in the meeting
>> minutes and in the Jabber log.    I don't see why we would
>> change this for remote participants.
> (moving to ietf mailing list)
>
> Absolutely.
>
> Now, should we add an automatic message when someone joins the
> chat rooms, or a message when meetings begin that all comments
> made in the chat room is also participation under the note
> well?

Ole,

First, probably to the "when meetings begin" part, but noting
that someone who gets onto the audio a few minutes late is in
exactly the same situation as someone who walks into the meeting
room a few minutes late -- announcements at the beginning of the
session are ineffective.

But, more generally...

I've said some of this in other contexts but, as a periodic
remote attendee, including being remote for IETF 87, I'd support
a more radical proposal, for example:

We regularize remote participation [1] a bit by doing the
following.  At some level, if remote participants expect to be
treated as serious members of the community, they (we) can
reasonably be expected to behave that way.

 * A mechanism for remote participants should be set up
	and remote participants should be to register.  The
	registration procedure should include the Note Well and
	any other announcement the IETF Trust, IAOC, or IESG
	consider necessary (just like the registration procedure
	for f2f attendance).

 * In the hope of increased equity, lowered overall
	registration fees, and consequently more access to IETF
	participation by a broader and more diverse community,
	the IAOC should establish a target/ recommended
	registration fee for remote participants.  That fee
	should reflect the portion of the registration fee that
	is not specifically associated with meeting expenses
	(i.e., I don't believe that remote participants should
	be supporting anyone's cookies other than their own).

 * In the interest of maximum participation and inclusion
	of people are aren't attending f2f for economic reasons,
	I think we should treat the registration fee as
	voluntary, with people contributing all or part of it as
	they consider possible.  No questions asked and no
	special waiver procedures.  On the other hand,
	participation without registration should be considered
	as being in extremely bad taste or worse, on a par with
	violations of the IPR disclosure rules.

 * I don't see a practical and non-obtrusive way to
	enforce registration, i.e., preventing anyone
	unregistered from speaking, modulo the "bad taste"
	comment above.  But we rarely inspect badges before
	letting people stand in a microphone line either.

In return, the IETF generally (and particularly people in the
room) needs to commit to a level of seriousness about remote
participation that has not consistently been in evidence.  In
particular:

	* Remote participants should have as much access to mic
	lines and the ability to participate in discussions as
	those who are present in the room.   That includes
	recognizing that, if there is an audio lag and it takes
	a few moments to type in a question or comment, some
	flexibility about "the comment queue is closed" may have
	to be in order.  For some sessions, it might require
	doing what ICANN has started doing (at least sometimes),
	which is treating the remote participants as a separate
	mic queue rather than expecting the Jabber scribe (or
	remote participant messenger/ channeler) to get at the
	end of whatever line is most convenient.

	* It is really, really, important that those speaking,
	even if they happen to be sitting at the chair's table,
	clearly and carefully identify themselves.  Last week,
	there were a few rooms in which the audio was, to put it
	very politely, a little marginal.  That happens.  But,
	when it combines with people mumbling their names or
	saying them very quickly, the result is as little
	speaker identification as would have been the case if
	the name hadn't been used as all.  In addition, some of
	us suffer from the disability of not being able to keep
	track of unfamiliar voices while juggling a few decks of
	slides, a jabber session, audio, and so on.   "I
	identified myself 10 minutes ago" is not generally
	adequate.

	* On several occasions this week, slides were uploaded
	on a just-in-time basis (or an hour or so after that).
	The problem was aggravated by the meeting materials and
	tools agenda pages apparently either lacking "Expires"
	headers or having them set rather long as compared to
	in-meeting changes.  It seems to me that, if the IETF is
	serious about remote participation, pages that reflect
	very volatile material should have "expires" headers set
	to appropriately short intervals sometimes Sunday and be
	left that way until the end of the last session on
	Friday _and_ that it be clearly explained to people
	whose comments depend on visual materials that failure
	to get those materials uploaded before the meeting
	(except in the most unusual of situations) are badly
	hurting the IETF's ability to be open and inclusive.
	The only alternative I can think of to getting really
	serious about having material uploaded early is to have
	a high-reliability and decent resolution video feed of
	the slides or the screen on which they are being
	projected.  And that might still be inadequate for some
	remote participants.

Or we can decide that real participation in the IETF requires
that people be in the room, that remote participants are
involved on a "what you get is what you get" basis, and we stop
pretending otherwise.  For many reasons, I'm not enthused about
that idea, but the things that I, and others, are suggesting and
asking for will cost money and require some changes in the
ordinary way of doing things and it is only fair to mention the
alternative and suggest that it be explicitly considered.

best,
   john

[1] I do mean "participants" here.  I really don't care what the
lurkers do, or how anonymous they are as long as they remain
lurkers.  I object to anonymous participation in any standards
process, including the IETF one, for reasons that have been
discussed repeatedly on this list.