Re: [Trustees] The Trust Agreement

Hi Chris,
At 23:56 02-08-2013, Chris Griffiths wrote:
I just replied to Brian's email, and also requested that Jorge Contreras (CC'd) weigh in with his legal review on this matter. Please let me know if you need any further details.

I'll wait for Jorge Contreras's comments.

While I cannot speculate if we will need to register new domains or trademarks, there are some that have already been registered that the trust must continue to maintain indefinitely that we would prefer to see lapse. The current state of having to hold onto them indefinitely seems impractical and requires the trust to go through efforts to maintain these every few years when they are most likely not needed.

I guess that the problem is "must continue to maintain indefinitely". My (uninformed) understanding is that the IETF Trust has to take reasonable steps to maintain the value of a thing. It would be very difficult to claim that the IETF Trust has taken unreasonable steps in not maintaining a thing which does not have any value.

Regards,
-sm