Re: Bringing back Internet transparency

On Jul 30, 2013, at 5:55 PM, Josh Howlett wrote:

>> Though of course an underlying problem is that no vendor wants to sell
>> hardware that will obsolete itself, unless of course it obsoletes itself
>> by requiring the customer to purchase even more expensive hardware than
>> it replaces.    It's hard to see how IETF could fight against vendors who
>> were making good money by making the network more complex, less reliable,
>> and less flexible.
>
> Personally I would characterise this as a demand-side problem, not
> supply-side: most users plainly aren't willing to pay for Internet
> transparency.

I don't think that's the problem; I think the problem is that most users don't realize how much lack of transparency is harming them.   So "transparent Internet access" isn't a commodity.    Transparency would be cheaper if there were more demand for it, and there would be more demand for it if people realized how much more utility they'd get out of the Internet if they had it.

Keith