Re: Last call: draft-montemurro-gsma-imei-urn-16.txt

Hi John,
At 18:23 20-07-2013, John C Klensin wrote:
See my earlier note, but mostly to aid in getting the
documentation right.  For example, to the extent that the recent
discussion results in a more complete treatment of privacy
and/or security considerations in the documentation, that is a
net improvement and added value.

There was a Last Call for draft-montemurro-gsma-imei-urn-01 in 2007. The draft was sponsored by an Apps AD. draft-montemurro-gsma-imei-urn-04 was evaluated (I did not verify the details) in 2009. An IPR disclosure, about a patent filed several years ago, was filed after that evaluation. The DISCUSS got cleared automatically. draft-montemurro-gsma-imei-urn-08 was dispatched to RAI in 2011.

3GPP was assigned a URN in 2008. The shepherd write-up for draft-montemurro-gsma-imei-urn-16 mentions that "this document is required for the 3GPP/IMS specification, thus any vendor that implements the 3GPP specifications follows this specification". The significant difference between the 3GPP URN and the requested GSMA URN is that there is an IPR disclosure on that latter.

One of the questions asked by Tim Bray was about the WiFi-only scenario. That was raised previously through a DISCUSS as the softphone issue.

The privacy discussion might cause some discontent. As for whether the draft will gain consensus, well, what can I say; if it is the consensus of the IETF to support state-sponsored surveillance there is nothing I can do about it. :-)

Regards,
S. Moonesamy