Re: SHOULD and RECOMMENDED

I want to know more what it translates to as a technical specification for CODING. To me, it means this:

   o Authorization Lift Time
     [X] Send Notification
         Time to send: __4__ mins (default)

The problem as I experienced thus far is whether one MUST IMPLEMENT this protocol feature,in this case code for AUTH_LIFETIME and make it flexible with a default 4 mins timeout.

At the end of the day, this feature is not functionally described as a MUST protocol requirement, therefore as a product producer I have two design options:

  1) Don't implement, possible less feature than competitors.
     See if others implement it.

  2) Implement and make it optional as the UI shows above.

So I don't think its a really a language or native culture thing, its just poor functional/technical specification writing. Of course, if one does not implement AUTH_LIFETIME and they later find out there are interoperability issues with other products in the market, then there is a "BUG" in the specification. It may need to be fixed in a BIS as a MUST or maybe the products that failed when a peer did not support it, then its considered buggy because it read the above as a MUST.

I would like to see a focus to produce more protocol writing guidelines, outline examples and tips on how to best reduce the ambiguity. I think the available RFC templates should include a new section:

   1.x Minimum Requirements

This should help writers focus on these type of issues for the multiple discipline readers out there.

--
HLS