Re: SHOULD and RECOMMENDED

while I like to take credit for the good things in RFC 2119 (and disclaim the bad things) - the
term RECOMMENDED (good or bad)  comes from RFC 1122

basically I copied the definition section from RFC 1122 for the 1st version of what became RFC 2119.
(see http://www.sobco.com/ids/draft-bradner-key-words-00.txt)

based on mailing list discussion I produced two revisions of the ID (mostly to add guidance on usage)
http://www.sobco.com/ids/draft-bradner-key-words-01.txt
and
http://www.sobco.com/ids/draft-bradner-key-words-02.txt

the 02 version is what was approved by the IESG as RFC 2119

all of the above is to say that I can not help in this discussion about the difference between SHOULD &
RECOMMENDED other than the fact they represent  different parts of speech

maybe Bob Braden has an idea since I do find  not a usage of RECOMMENDED in the RFC series before RFC 1122

Scott