Re: Participation per Region of Authoring IETF documents vs Marketing

>> by looking into the statistics of I-Ds and RFCs, it is strange that we get
>> sometimes high rate in the I-D going in IETF from some regions but the
>> success rate of I-Ds to become RFCs is very low (5- 50).

There seems to be a general pattern where new participants first participate and/or produce IDs but it takes some time to produce RFCs. For instance, for a while it was the case that there was a growing number of proposals and participants from China, but it is only more recently that the RFC statistics reflect this (see the bright green line in http://www.arkko.com/tools/rfcstats/countrydistrhist.html). The hypothesis is that first of all, it takes a while to produce RFCs :-) and that new participants take a while before they get up to speed on the process, find enough other parties that share similar needs for the specific technical work, etc.

Jari