Re: IETF Meeting in South America

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Melinda Shore <melinda.shore@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 5/28/13 6:20 AM, Christian O'Flaherty wrote:
>> Probably, this lack of social interaction in our region is one of
>> the main reasons for low participation. Most of latin american
>> IETFers are currently living outside the region and they engaged in
>> the IETF when living in the US or Europe. It's difficult to be
>> involved when no one else around is working in it or think it doesn't
>> fit well in their current work. A physical meeting will help to
>> "demystify" the IETF, making it "accesible" from a professional
>> perspective.
>
> Any sense of why that didn't happen with Australians after
> the Adelaide meeting?

If we're able to get a "proportional growth" similar to what happened
in Australia it will be a success :-)
Latam is a region with 600 million inhabitants compared to 23 million
in Australia.

But I agree with you and I'm not saying a meeting is going to be
enough. In the past it was probably not combined with other activities
planned two or three years in advance. We can do something serious
here and we know the potential available in the region to empower the
IETF even more.

Christian