Re: Gather Profiles/Resumes [was Re: call for ideas: tail-heavy IETF process]

Hi John.

I agree there are a number of specific cases where there is no
simple/obvious way to handle. I'd be OK with something fairly simple
as "unaffiliated" or "consultant" or something more nuanced. But I'd
like to think those are edge cases (but could of course be wrong in
how common they are). I was specifically thinking of much more obvious
cases where I'm pretty sure that their main employers is sending them.

One thing I've done at times is look at the attendance figures at
meetings to try to identify some of the entities that send the most
attendees to meetings (e.g.,, to track trends). As a result of that,
I've noticed that the number of "no affiliation given" seems high to
me, and I've seen obvious cases where I know the person and where they
were working in the past, and then when I check later, it turns out
they are still working at the same place (e.g. a Cisco, Google or
Huawei). Maybe its just the case that the registration form makes it
to easy to leave it blank.

Just loooking at the list
https://www.ietf.org/registration/ietf86/attendance.py?sortkey=3&login=
I easily counted 20 names of folk I know that don't list an
affiliation, where if any of them have changed employers, that number
would likely be very small.

Thomas