Re: Gather Profiles/Resumes [was Re: call for ideas: tail-heavy IETF process]

I don't think the IETF needs to be in the profile/resume
business. There are plenty of other places that do a fine job already.

What I do think the IETF should do is *require* that participants
identify themselves. That means knowing who they are (a name and email
contact) and an affiliation. For 80% of the participants, this info is
not very hard to figure out (see below). But we also have participants
that use obscure email handles that don't correlate to anything
obvious, whether a real person or to a name in the list of registered
attendees, etc. I suspect these folk are *not* intenending to be
anonymous participants, but in practice they are.

And yes, knowing who someone is, their background and who they work
for is important to me in figuring out how to guage their input. E.g.,
I would likely pay more attention to an operator's comments on a
proposed use case than from someone else.

How to figure out who someone is:

1) look at the list of registered attendees. (but that doesn't include
email addresses, so no clean way to map attendee name into email
addresses being used).

Also, for some reason, some people who register don't bother giving an
affiliation. In some cases this is intentional, but there are others
where it doesn't make sense (e.g., someone who has worked for the same
employer for 10+ years and is still working for that employer).

E.g., if you look at the registration list for Orland0, fully 180 names
don't list affiliations -- and there are a number pretty obvious
surprises in that list...

2) look at email addresses. But nowadays they are often generic (e.g.,
gmail) and don't correlate back to an obvious sponsor.

3) Google names, look at authorship info in RFCs, linked in,
etc. Works in a lot of cases, but is sometimes more work than seems
appropriate. And for those with less history in the IETF, knowing
where to look for this stuff is trickier.

But even doing the above, there are people participating (e.g.,
posting on the IETF list) who I don't know who they are, even after
spending some time trying to figure who who they are and what their
background is. For an open standards organization, that somehow
doesn't seem quite right.

Thomas