Re: call for ideas: tail-heavy IETF process

--On Monday, May 06, 2013 04:35 -0400 Olaf Kolkman
<olaf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Personally I hope that RFC 6410 has the effect that we, as a
> community, get serious about promoting our proposed standards,
> or obsolete them.
>
> I wonder how many standards got promoted after 6410 was
> published.

According to my rough count (well, not that rough), the number
of RFCs numbered above 6410 that represent full Standards is
zero.  I note that DKIM is now in Last Call for promotion
without revision; if it succeeds, it would be the first.

RFC 6410 was published in October 2011.  Between, e.g., October
2009 and May 2011, seven documents were published as Internet
Standards (RFCs 5652, 5730 - 5734, and 6152).  Because of the
five documents in the EPP series, that is not quite as large a
count as one would expect but even if one counts that as only
three, three is larger than zero.

That is definitely not a comparison on which I'd want to make
any statistical assertions, but it suggests that 6410 has not
been an overwhelming success is promoting documents.

    john