Re: Last Call: <draft-sheffer-running-code-04.txt> (Improving Awareness of Running Code: the Implementation Status Section) to Experimental RFC

At 14:57 12-04-2013, The IESG wrote:
The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
the following document:
- 'Improving Awareness of Running Code: the Implementation Status
Section'
  <draft-sheffer-running-code-04.txt> as Experimental RFC

ietf@xxxxxxxx mailing lists by 2013-05-10. Exceptionally, comments may be

I have read every word in this document multiple times mainly in the order they were written. :-)

In Section 1:

  "The scope of the intended experiment is all Internet-Drafts whether
    produced within IETF working groups, outside working groups but
   intended for IETF consensus, or for publication on the Independent
   Stream."

I don't think that it is up to the IETF to run experiments in the Independent Submissions Stream. I suggest removing the text after "IETF consensus".

In Section 2:

  "In addition, this section can contain information about the
   interoperability of any or all of the implementations."

I found information about interoperability helpful in resolving issues. Some arguments [1] are not backed by references. That makes it difficult to make a determination.

A good test would be to get feedback from people who has not participated in the working group and who have implemented the specification. It might highlight issues about document clarity, whether a protocol is under-specified or over-specified, etc. I understand that it is out of scope for draft-sheffer-running-code-04.

What happens to the status of this document after 18 months?

Regards,
-sm

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyE4CLM0QIA