RE: Last Call: <draft-sheffer-running-code-04.txt> (Improving Awareness of Running Code: the Implementation Status Section) to Experimental RFC

Hi SM,

> I have read every word in this document multiple times mainly in the
> order they were written. :-)

Hmmm, you can't be sure what order we wrote them. You can only know what order
they are presented in :-)

> In Section 1:
>
>    "The scope of the intended experiment is all Internet-Drafts whether
>      produced within IETF working groups, outside working groups but
>     intended for IETF consensus, or for publication on the Independent
>     Stream."
>
> I don't think that it is up to the IETF to run experiments in the
> Independent Submissions Stream.  I suggest removing the text after
> "IETF consensus".

I think you are right. Of course, individuals pushing drafts to the ISE could do
the same thing, but that is probably out of scope for us.

> In Section 2:
>
>    "In addition, this section can contain information about the
>     interoperability of any or all of the implementations."
>
> I found information about interoperability helpful in resolving
> issues.  Some arguments [1] are not backed by references.  That makes
> it difficult to make a determination.

Agreed. Some implementations and some interop is undocumented and we have to
take it "on trust".
We should probably say that giving references in support would be highly
desirable.

> A good test would be to get feedback from people who has not
> participated in the working group and who have implemented the
> specification.  It might highlight issues about document clarity,
> whether a protocol is under-specified or over-specified, etc.  I
> understand that it is out of scope for draft-sheffer-running-code-04.

Understood.

> What happens to the status of this document after 18 months?

I think that when we publish our analysis of results, this will either be
replaced with something firmer or moved to historic.

Cheers,
Adrian