Re: Purpose of IESG Review

Seeing randomly selected drafts as a Gen-ART reviewer, I can
say that serious defects quite often survive WG review and
sometimes survive IETF Last Call review, so the final review
by the IESG does serve a purpose.

IMHO, if the IESG members sticks to their own criteria at
http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html,
i.e. do not DISCUSS a document for spurious reasons, they
are doing just fine. If they don't stick to those criteria,
complaint is justified.

Of course this will always be a matter of judgment.

Regards
   Brian