Re: Purpose of IESG Review

On Apr 12, 2013, at 12:13 AM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Seeing randomly selected drafts as a Gen-ART reviewer, I can
> say that serious defects quite often survive WG review and
> sometimes survive IETF Last Call review, so the final review
> by the IESG does serve a purpose.

I'm not saying it doesn't serve a purpose. I'm saying that I know of drafts that have been nearly rewritten during such back-and-forth, so what popped out was largely unrelated to what went in. In such cases, I think the document should have been returned to the working group with comments, not worked on privately.