Re: Proposed solution for DPEP (Diversity Problem Entry Point) - IETF April 1 jokes.

On Apr 8, 2013, at 9:38 AM, Melinda Shore <melinda.shore@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well, the timing of this strikes me as one of those "oh" moments, following as quickly on the heels of the diversity discussion.  Not so much because of language and culture issues (although those are unavoidable) but because it strikes me as kind of unhealthy to use the April Fool RFCs as a tool to partition the audience into "us" and "them".

Sure, that's clearly a problem to think about.   But my point was just that you can see it as something to divide us, or something to bring us together; what's important is that it in fact be used for the latter, and not the former.   But the essence of inclusiveness is not that we eliminate differences; if we did that, diversity wouldn't do us much good.   The essence of inclusiveness is being open and welcoming to diversity, and having, if not a sense of humor about differences, at least a tolerance for them.   Suppressing in-jokes is just as bad as excluding people who don't appreciate them.