Re: Less Corporate Diversity

On 21/03/13 1:33 PM, John C Klensin wrote:

--On Wednesday, March 20, 2013 23:36 +0100 Jari Arkko
<jari.arkko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think it is mostly market forces and historical reasons, and
the development of the IETF to focus on more particular core
aspects of the Internet (like routing) as opposed to what the
small shops might work on.

I mostly agree.  However, I see lots of activity in Apps and
RAI, very little of which would seem to be "core aspects of the
Internet".  Also, given the cost factor, the length of time it
usually seems to take us to spin up a WG and get anything done
is probably also a significant barrier: a small shop who could
afford to send someone to a meeting or three might have neither
the people-resources nor travel and meeting budget to commit to
a few years of meetings.

Hi John,

I think that any small shop (whatever that means) would be put off if they sent someone to an IETF as it appears that it is dominated by the big vendors pushing their own agendas. Given that impression I imagine the small shop has better things to do with its resources.

Mark.