Re: Less Corporate Diversity

Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> Martin Rex wrote:
> >
> > My impression of todays IESG role, in particular taking their
> > balloting rules and their actual balloting results into account,
> > is more of a "confirming body" of work that happened elsewhere
> > (primarily in the IETF, typically in IETF WGs, but also individual or
> > interest groups submissions from elsewhere, though the latter mostly
> > for (re)publication as informational).
> >
> > IMHO, the IESG is not (and maybe never was?) a committee where _each_
> > member reviews _all_ of the work, where _each_ forms his very own opionion,
> > and where all of them caste a VOTE at the end, so that the diversity
> > within that committee would be vitally beneficial (to anything).
>
> I think you've misinterpreted the IESG procedures a bit. The definition
> of a NO OBJECTION ballot in the IESG ranges from "I read it, and I have
> no problem with it" to "I listened to the discussion, and I have no problem."

I don't think so.

When I had a phone call with Russ Housley in early 2010, one of the
things I said was that considering the amount of document that pass
through the IESG, I would assume that not every AD was reading every
document and that each AD might be reading only about 1/4 of them,
and he replied that this could be near the real numbers.

> It's impossible to say objectively which of these extremes predominates,
> but when I was General AD, I tried to at least speed-read every draft,
> and studied the Gen-ART reviews carefully. Individual ADs vary in their
> habits according to workload, but my sense is that there is a strong
> sense of collective responsibility and definitely not a sense of
> rubber stamping.

I do not think that the IESG is actively rubber stamping, and I
know of a few past events where the IESG actively resisted to such
attempts.

However, the ballot process is made to err towards publication
of a document.  How often does the IESG *not* publish documents,
and why?

Considering the effort it took to convince IESG not to take an
action / publish a document (IIRC draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic-04.txt)
then I'm much less convinced that having a ballot procedure that fails
towards action/publication is such a good idea.

-Martin