Re: Diversity of IETF Leadership

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 12:07 PM, Randall Gellens
<randy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> At 2:03 PM -0500 3/11/13, Mary Barnes wrote:
>
>>  To suggest that
>>  someone is not qualified to be an AD because they shed tears in a
>>  contentious situation is unacceptable IMHO.
>

> I'm confused as to why that would be considered a reason not to appoint
> someone, regardless of gender.  Is it because tears makes others
> uncomfortable or is it seen as an inability to be tough when needed?  It
> doesn't make sense to me.
>
> Especially because we've had ADs who screamed, yelled, threw things in WG
> meetings.

[MB] I made a comment earlier in this thread that we have received
input to past nomcoms suggesting that would be the reason not to
appoint female nominees as opposed to males.  And, I highlighted that
the behavior you note is more typical (although not exclusive)
behavior of men when they get upset.  I do believe it is because tears
make many here far more uncomfortable then the screaming which seems
to be far more the norm here in my experience. [/MB]