Re: Diversity of IETF Leadership

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Scott Brim <swb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 03/11/13 14:41, Mary Barnes allegedly wrote:
>> This year's set of nominees was far more diverse than in the past and
>> yet the IESG will still be entirely male and entirely North
>> American/European.  Of course, only people that bothered to use the
>> tool to input comments would see that.  So, indeed the nomcom process
>> is part of the problem.
>
> Mary: I believe you would agree with this but your language doesn't seem
> to say so: just because the nomcom chose a less diverse set of nominees
> from a more diverse set of candidates doesn't mean there is something
> wrong with the nomcom or the nomcom process.  It may be that this nomcom
> did take diversity into account, and diversity was outweighed by other
> factors that are at least as important.  Do you have what you consider
> to be proof that the nomcom didn't consider diversity?
[MB] I think I do - the process was quite inconsistent in terms of how
certain nominees were treated during interviews, etc.  Also, as I said
in another email, Nomcom has a tough job as the process is based upon
them considering community input.  When there is a bias in that input,
then of course, there may be bias in the process. [/MB]
I have direct
> experience of at least a few nomcoms that did.
[MB] In my Nomcom experience I do not believe we did as good of a job
considering this as we should have.  Some of the community comments
about female nominees were disrespectful and showed ignorance of the
fact that women are different - yes women are more likely to shed
tears when we are upset than to yell or curse or physically push
someone around (which I have been at these meetings).  To suggest that
someone is not qualified to be an AD because they shed tears in a
contentious situation is unacceptable IMHO. Lack of respect for the
most basic diversity that exists both between genders and cultures is
a big problem IMHO.  [/MB]

Are you looking for
> quotas?
[MB] Absolutely NOT!!!
  Do you think diversity is more important than e.g. demonstrated
> ability to lead, at the top level?
[MB] Absolutely NOT!!!  What I'm looking for is for IETF to recognize
that there may be a bias in how these decisions are made and to make a
conscientious decision to be aware of how this bias may impact their
decisions.  I realize that this is a rather bold expectation given
that this is not a problem unique to IETF:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/25/science/bias-persists-against-women-of-science-a-study-says.html?_r=0
But, again, as an international open organization, I would expect the
IETF to at least make an effort.
[/MB]