Re: Diversity of IETF Leadership

> In addition to the moral and social issues involved, diversity of
> leadership across several axes (race, geographic location, gender
> and corporate affiliation) is important for three practical reasons:
>
>     - It is a well-established fact that diverse groups are smarter
>       and make better decisions than less-diverse groups.

  I would really like to see this statement either backed up by
peer-reviewed apolitical scientific research or withdrawn by the
signatories of the open letter. It is highly offensive.

  While it should be self-evident that a group whose homogeneity
was of corporate affiliation might not make the best decisions for
the IETF as a whole, to say that a racially homogenous group is
somehow dumber than a racially diverse group smacks of racism.

  The group comprised of winners of the Nobel Prize for Physics is
overwhelmingly north american and european males. Just the makeup
that is being asserted as a "problem" here in the IETF. But it is not
viewed as a problem, and for good reason because science would
suffer if it was subordinated in any way to any other consideration.

>     - Lack of diversity in our leadership becomes a self-perpetuating
>       problem, because people who are not represented in the IETF
>       leadership are less likely to dedicate their time and effort to
>       the IETF.

  Another ipse dixit fallacy! A mere assertion masquerading as a
sociological fact. As if we are just sheeple who are motivated to only
join groups whose makeup resembles us.

  We are supposed to be individuals here engaging in consensus-based
work to get the best technical solution to the Internet's problems.
Disparate impact theory has no place in the IETF.

  Dan.