Re: Diversity of IETF Leadership

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Stewart Bryant <stbryant@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A person's sex is of course only one of the recognized "protected
> characteristics".
>
> http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/advice-and-guidance/new-equality-act-guidance/protected-characteristics-definitions/
>
> The full set is:
>
> Age
> Disability
> Gender ressignment
> Marriage and civil partnetship
> Pregnancy and maternity
> Race
> Religion and belief
> Sex
> Sexual orientation
>
> If we formally recognize one of the "protected characteristics" we surely
> have to formally recognize and make provision within our rules and operating
> procedures for all of them.
>
> Although I point to a UK site my understanding is that these protected
> characteristics are enacted in European Union law and thus apply across the
> whole of the EU.
[MB] I fully agree.  My experiences certainly only reflect a subset of
the characteristics you identify and I fully agree they all should be
equally considered in terms of ensuring that bias is minimized.

However, I would never, ever advocate Affirmative Action programs or
any decision making process that does not appoint the most qualified
individual.

[/MB]