Re: IETF chair's blog

> From: Brian Trammell <trammell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> It does not seem appropriate for a technical standards organization
> dedicated to making the Internet work better through the development
> of open standards to implicitly endorse "communication protocols"
> which are based on closed access to distributed databases through
> interfaces that can and do change at the whim of the organizations
> that control them, further where those organizations have
> demonstrated a willingness to assert editorial control over the
> content they disseminate.

First, let me add my cynical definitions:

    "Collaborate" is when I listen to you.

    "Public relations" is when *you* listen to *me*.

Let us use these terms correctly (as opposed to most usage in the
business world).

In regard to "platforms", I'm torn, because the current crop of
commercial social media is a good technique of doing PR and no doubt
would help the IETF generate public awareness.  On the other hand,
having a major sector of social interaction be operated on a
completely closed platform operated by an organization with completely
commercial purposes is *exactly the opposite* of what the IETF is
attempting to accomplish.

Dale