Re: presenting vs discussion in WG meetings (was re:Remote Participation Services)

On 15/02/2013 20:57, Keith Moore wrote:
> But this makes me realize that there's a related issue.   An expectation
> that WG meetings are for presentations, leads to an expectation that
> there's lots of opportunity to present suggestions for new work to do.
> WG time scheduled for considering new work can actually take away time
> for discussion of ongoing work.   And once the time is scheduled and
> people have made commitments to travel to meetings for the purpose of
> presenting new work, chairs are understandably reluctant to deny them
> their allotted presentation time.

This is closely related to a well-known problem at academic conferences.
Many people can only get funded to travel if they are presenting a paper.
It's common practice, therefore, to have either a poster session (which
allows massively parallel presentations) or hot-topics sessions (with a
strict and very short time-limit). We tend to throw the hot-topics sessions
into WG meetings, which is not ideal.

Why not have a poster session as part of Bits-n-Bites? It would give
new ideas a chance to be seen without wasting WG time. Make it official
enough that people can use it in their travel requests.

    Brian