Re: Making RFC2119 key language easier to Protocol Readers

> On 15/01/2013 06:16, Dean Willis wrote: ...
>> Seriously -- at what point does replacing all action verbs with 2119
>> language make the protocol spec LESS useful for compliance
>> certification?
>
> Wrong question. What we (the IETF) care about is the existence of
> interoperable implementations, not mathematical compliance.
>
> If you ask "at what point does replacing all action verbs with 2119
> language make the protocol spec LESS useful for coding interoperable
> versions?", I think the answer will be something like "when it makes the
> spec so ugly and difficult to read that people get things wrong as a
> result."

>> I'm not sure that's not a good thing. Witness for example the work SIP
>> Forum has done with the SIPConnect standards, which have made it MUCH
>> easier to order a box that will work with a SIP Trunking service.
>
> I think there are cases of standards of extreme complexity, such as SIP,
> where such profiles may be useful, because otherwise interoperability
> cannot be achieved.

I would not call SIP a standard of extreme complexity, but anyway there is
more and more protocols on a similar complexity - just two protocols that I am
working with currently - RSTP 2.0 and RELOAD - are of similar complexity.

> But perhaps the lesson for the IETF here is slightly different - don't
> design standards which allow that degree of complexity in the first place.

There is no simple solution to a complex problem, so as the problems we try to
solve increase in complexity, so are our solutions to them.  But perhaps you
are right in a way.  Perhaps the problem is simply that RFC 2119, and the
issues I and other see with the approach in using as little of the keywords as
possible, was designed for a time when problems - and solutions - were
simpler.  Perhaps RFC 2119 imposes an upper limit on the complexity that a
protocol developed with it can reach, and we are just hitting this threshold
more and more often.

I am not saying that it is a bad thing - I certainly like simple protocols,
but perhaps the IETF is simply the wrong place for developing complex protocols.

- --
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Email: marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Blog: http://blog.marc.petit-huguenin.org