Re: [therightkey] Fwd: Re: Last Call: <draft-laurie-pki-sunlight-05.txt> (Certificate Transparency) to Experimental RFC

On 14 January 2013 11:30, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> FYI. Some comments sent just to the IETF list. Please
> respond there.
>
> Thanks,
> S.

Is there a difference, when you get down to it?

> In Section 3:
>
>   "Logs MUST NOT impose any conditions on copying data retrieved from
>    the log."
>
> I am reading the above as meaning that the data retrieved is in the
> public domain.  Is that correct?

Yes. This is necessary for auditing/monitoring.

>  The wording could be improved as
> logs do not have any consciousness.

I have changed it to "Log operators..."

> In Section 3.1:
>
>  "In order to enable attribution of each logged certificate to its
>   issuer, the log SHALL publish a list of acceptable root certificates
>   (this list might usefully be the union of root certificates trusted
>   by major browser vendors)."
>
> Why is this a "SHALL" instead of a "MUST"?

MUST and SHALL are equivalent.

>  I suggest a better
> wording for "log" in the above as "log" is defined as "a single,
> ever-growing, append-only Merkle Tree of such certificates".  There
> are other occurrences of "log" in the draft that should be reviewed.

What wording do you suggest that would be better?

> In Section 4:
>
>   "Messages are sent as HTTPS GET or POST requests.  Parameters for
>    POSTs and all responses are encoded as JSON objects.
>
> I suggest adding a reference for JSON objects.

There will be in the next version.

>   "It must map one-to-one to a known public key (how this
>    mapping is distributed is out of scope for this document)."
>
> This looks like a requirement.

If it were a requirement it would say MUST - but in any case, it is
gone in the next version.

>   "A compliant v1 implementation MUST NOT expect this to
>    be 0 (i.e. v1)."
>
> What happens if the v1 implementation gets a zero?

I don't understand the question.

> In Section 7.3:
>
>   "Violation of the append-only property is detected by global gossiping,
>    i.e., everyone auditing logs comparing their versions of the latest
>    signed tree heads."
>
> In my humble opinion that's a practical approach.
>
> Section 7 is about security and privacy considerations.  I didn't see
> any privacy considerations in Section 7.

Good point, I have renamed it.