Re: The notion of "fast tracking" drafts

On 12/16/2012 04:49 PM, Stephen Farrell wrote:
ISTM that you are of the opinion that anything the IETF
does to go faster is bad in and of itself because its
scary.
It's not that simple, at least in my opinion.

I'm generally fine with fast tracking a document that describes a simple protocol that is easily understood, easily implemented, noncontroversial, and has a limited impact. In all other cases, I think that more deliberation is appropriate. That's not to say that IETF currently makes good use of deliberation time. But I'd rather see it make better use of that time, than to try to reduce that time without first improving protocol and document quality. For example, I'd like to see earlier and more explicit cross-area review.

Keith