Re: PowerPoint considered harmful (was Re: Barely literate minutes)

On 12/2/12 8:58 AM, Keith Moore wrote:
> I'd add working group chairs (though I'm sure there are a few
> exceptions) to the list of those with an apparent inability to
> prioritize and structure work.   Or perhaps WGs should have to get
> approval from their supervising AD before they can take on new
> documents.

There's a whole nexus of connected issues here, I think, and what
a given person complains about depends on that person's pet peeves.
It seems to me that if we were better about moving work forward
between meetings (<- peeve!) meeting time wouldn't be chewed up
with presenting the current state of the work.  I think design
teams are a handy tool for keeping things moving and have the
side-effect of potentially improving meeting quality.  I'll be the
first to admit the possibility of abuse/things going wrong but
I think keeping work moving is one of the keys to solving this
problem.

I know the EDU team is working hard and has a tough task, but
I also wonder if improving however it is that we acculturate
newer participants might not help, as well.  I would guess that
if you polled meeting participants you'd get a majority of
respondents thinking that meetings are for presentation and
that meetings are used for document adoption and document
content decisions.

Melinda