Re: Newcomers [Was: Evolutionizing the IETF]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian E Carpenter" <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Melinda Shore" <melinda.shore@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2012 8:11 AM
> On 15/11/2012 03:43, Melinda Shore wrote:
> > Right, I understand that (better than you might think - I live in
> > Alaska).  But.  I'm trying to understand the value in having people
> > attend one meeting.  I've asked about that several times.
>
> There are people who have attended one, or a very small number,
> of meetings and who participate actively in IETF work. That's
> certainly the case for a few people in Australia and New
> Zealand, for example. I have a co-author on a current draft who
> attended IETF 83 in Paris, because he happens to live there and
> doesn't have business justification for the time and money for
> longer trips. I think people in this class do get a lot out of
> occasional participation - enough to encourage them to
> participate remotely. I've gone through phases of attending one
> meeting a year, and that's definitely enough to stay in touch.
>
> However, that is very different from meetings in unusual places
> *attracting* new participants who stay with us. Would we get a
> cohort of new active participants if we met in Anchorage?
>
> We'd reached 50 attendees from China at IETF 63 before we even
> started seriously negotiating the Beijing meeting. It seems to
> me that the causality is mainly in the opposite direction:
> participation causes meetings, not meetings cause participation.

I started, some years ago, with a meeting, because the culture that I
was used to was that conferences, be they annual or triannual, were
where things really happened and that e-mail filled in the gaps in
between (and I think that this remains the case in other, related,
fora).  That attendance showed me that most of the IETF meeting was a
waste of time, that it was e-mail that was the main vehicle for work,
and I think that the IETF web site has it about right when it says

"People interested in particular technical issues join the mailing list
of a WG  and occasionally attend one or more of the three IETF meetings
held every year."
and
"After participating by email for a while, it may be time to attend your
first meeting."

which is not exactly sellling the idea of attending meetings:-)  But as
I say, I think that that is the nature of the IETF.

Tom Petch