Re: [RFC 3777 Update for Vacancies]

--On Sunday, October 28, 2012 13:31 -0400 Eric Burger
<eburger-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If someone falls off the face of the Earth, and repeated
> attempts to contact them using legally recognized methods of
> notice fails, and more importantly they have a positive track
> record that spans over a decade, we can use our existing
> nomcom tools to replace their nomcom-appointed duties. I would
> offer that a person in such a position with such demonstrated
> dedication would not want us to do otherwise.

IMO, Eric's last sentence above is exactly the essence of why I
think a lightweight (and different-from-recall) procedure is
needed.  Suppose we have a long-standing positive contributor,
or even someone who took a high-responsibility position in good
faith but then discovered that he or she was seriously in over
their head.  That person responds to conditions beyond our
control (and maybe beyond theirs) by disappearing and not
responding to attempts to get them to clarify things.  Whatever
is causing those symptoms, we probably do both the community and
the person involved a favor by replacing them and moving forward
without making a huge fuss about it.   There have to be
safeguards, but there don't need to be formal accusations of
malfeasance.

Coming back to the note from which Eric quoted, none of the
above has anything to do with someone who is consistently
behaving like a jerk -- whether by participation or
non-participation (including active attempts to resist vacancy
claims when they aren't doing anything).  For those situations,
the determination of whether a sufficient level of jerk-like
behavior has been achieved to justify expulsion needs to be made
by the community, not by irritated fellow members of the
affected body.  Our presumption is that recall is a perfectly
adequate mechanism for that purpose.  If it isn't, we should fix
it, but it has nothing to do with the case described above.

   best,
   john