Re: Just so I'm clear

In message <EA9BEA2E-EE96-4E80-B719-652BBD620A79@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Margaret Wass
erman writes:

> On Oct 24, 2012, at 1:01 AM, Doug Barton wrote:
> > I get what you're saying, but this is one of those times where (arguably
> > for the better) we've created a difficult procedure that should be
> > infrequently exercised. We should follow the procedure because it _is_
> > the procedure. And then use the opportunity to improve it.
>
> The existence of the recall procedure does not imply that there isn't any
> other way for a seat to become vacant.  For example, a seat can become
> vacant when an I* member resigns or dies, and there is no need for a
> recall in those cases.
>
> I think it is reasonable for the IAOC to set it's own (reasonable,
> consistent) bar for deciding that a sitting member has vacated his/her
> seat through lack of attendance and lack of response.  No recall should
> be needed in that case to replace the missing member, any more than if
> the person had explicitly resigned.  The IAOC sent a long list of things
> that they have done to contact Marshall, and he has not responded.  It
> seems impossible that he has not received any of those contacts, so his
> lack of response is indicative, IMO, that he has indeed vacated his seat.

But we don't have rules that say, "failure to attend for X period,
without permission, will result in the position being declared
vacant".  I we did this would be simple.  I don't think we have
any choice from a proceedural point of view other than to start
recall proceedings.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@xxxxxxx