Re: Just so I'm clear

On 10/23/2012 9:51 PM, Eliot Lear wrote:

> On 10/24/12 6:23 AM, Doug Barton wrote:
>> With respect, you haven't spent much time with either the ITU or ICANN
>> if you think that 3777 is rigidly bureaucratic by their standards.
>> This is one of those situations where we have to take our medicine. Doug
>
> There are actually very few ITU rules, and very many guidelines.  The
> latter are the exact opposite of rigid, but subject to overturning by
> Member States at any time.  I had thought that we were roughly the same
> in that regard, so as to avoid a perversity.  We've had any number of
> debates on this list about not creating process without a reason.
> Fine.  The price for that is that you have to deal with these sorts of
> circumstances as and when they arise, using rough consensus as your guide.

I've repeated myself many times now, so you're going to get the last word.

I get what you're saying, but this is one of those times where (arguably
for the better) we've created a difficult procedure that should be
infrequently exercised. We should follow the procedure because it _is_
the procedure. And then use the opportunity to improve it.

Changing, or even overturning a procedure is quite a different thing
from ignoring one altogether.

Doug