Re: [dnsext] Last Call: <draft-ietf-dnsext-rfc2671bis-edns0-09.txt> (Extension Mechanisms for DNS (EDNS(0))) to Internet Standard

In message <506DBE9B.3070209@xxxxxxxx>, Olafur Gudmundsson writes:
> On 02/10/2012 21:15, Mark Andrews wrote:
> >> Labels only work when all the severs for a zone that has a new label type,
> >> in ADDITION sufficient fraction servers in all zones above that zone
> >> MUST understand the new
> >> label type.
> >
> > Not true. Binary labels could have been made to work by removing
> > the left hand label until the remaining suffix consisted of only
> > RFC 1035 labels, looking up the servers for that domain, then
> > resuming query processing using those servers similar to what we
> > do with DS lookups.
> >
> > Such processing would be required for any new label type used in a
> > QNAME and would be a significant change to the standard query logic.
> >
> > Mark
> >

> Mark,
>
> This will only work if all the recursive resolvers that "consumers" for
> this new label types have been updated AND the new label type is the
> left most label(s) in the name.

This works regardless of the position of the label.  If a TLD label
is a binary label then you strip back the labels until you reach
the root.

Resolvers involved in the lookup need to be updated and I didn't
dispute that.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka@xxxxxxx