Re: Draft IESG Statement on Removal of an Internet-Draft from the IETF Web Site

Hi Joe,
At 11:51 08-09-2012, Joe Touch wrote:
Note - I don't agree that past IDs should be posted after expiration without the author's consent. They were submitted with that understanding, and post-facto changing it by the IETF is not appropriate.

I would rephrase the above as whether it is appropriate to take someone's work and post it as your own or use the work. For the former, I don't think it is appropriate. For the latter, the author has given the IETF change control over the work. I'll ignore the exceptions. That does not mean that the author should not be credited for the work. If I am not mistaken it is IETF practice to do so.

"An expired I-D may be unexpired when necessary to further the work of the IETF, including IETF liaison with other standards bodies". The IETF Trust has a retention policy of forever for I-Ds. It is possible to use the override in extreme cases. That does not mean that things should be done without the author's consent.

Regards,
-sm