Re: Basic ietf process question ...

On 02/08/2012 19:17, Robert Raszuk wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> Perhaps we understand a different thing by "xml schema" As example what
> I had in mind when asking this question was the example from "Appendix
> A" of http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-marques-l3vpn-schema-00 where
> while perhaps not yet complete it does provide decent representation of
> one of the popular service today.

There are certainly cases where systematic metadata are useful; I can't judge
whether VPN configuration is one of them, but I can easily believe it. In such
a case, I suppose XML is as good a tool as ASN.1, ABNF or whatever else
you might choose.

> That's what I had mind asking why such appendix isn't a mandatory part
> of each new protocol extension.

That's an enormous leap that I just don't understand. Most protocols don't
need that sort of configuration complexity.

> It has very little to do with Web Services you may be referring to.

Yes it does. It's exactly because of a doctrinaire approach that whatever
it is, it should be represented by an XML schema, that WS-splat became
such a horribly complex matter.

Again: no problem with creating XML schemata where they are useful. But
making them mandatory would be just as bad as making MIB modules mandatory,
IMHO.

    Brian